The following are the general entry requirements for admission into first degree programmes through the Unified Tertiar Matriculation Examination (UTME).
- An applicant must write the UTME (conducted nationally by the joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB) and obtain an acceptance score for the programme applied for, as may be set by the Senate of Bayero University Kano from time to time.
- An applicant may also be required to sit for post UTME Screening Examinations and obtain an acceptable score for the Programme applied for.
- In addition to obtaining acceptance scores in UTME and Post UTME, a candidate must also hold at least one of the following qualifications with 5 Credit Passes in English Language and in at least four (4) other subjects relevant to the programme applied for, obtained in not more than two (2) sittings.
- Senior School Certificate (SSC) from either the West African Examination Council (WAEC) or the National Examination Council (NECO).
- General Certificate of Education, Ordinary Level (GCE O’level).
- Grade II Teachers Certificate.
- Senior Islamic School Certificate (SISC).
- Higher Islamic Certificate (HISC).
- National Technical Certificate (NTC) from the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB).
- Any other qualification deemed equivalent to any of the above stated by the Senate.